Google+ Little LDS Ideas: The Spirit of Christmas: {A Christmas Ward Program}

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Spirit of Christmas: {A Christmas Ward Program}



Update: 11/14/13
-Many of you have been asking for a shortened version of my “Spirit of Christmas” program, but with my to-do list constantly growing I knew I wasn’t going to be able to do this.
But I’m happy to announce that one of my fabulous readers, Amanda Mackay, has shortened my script and was kind enough to share it! Just click the link below.
Amanda also changed the songs to songs from the Hymnal. For their activity the congregation will sing each of the songs instead of goups or a choir.

If you have shortened my script I would love to share it since so many people have been asking. If you would like to share it just email me at littleldsideas(at)Hotmail(dot)com.


-I also am including a list with all the links to the songs that we used & the link to the ‘Good Shepherd’ video. Yay!
Just click on each of the songs to view/print the arrangements that we used.

Songs:
Angels We Have Heard on High: I don't know exactly which arrangement was used for our program. You could use the one from the hymnal or find another online.
While Shepherds Watched Their Flock: {Hymn 211}

Videos:

-And for one last update, I am adding a link to download my Word version. Since this has become so popular I decided it would be easier on everyone if I just added my Microsoft Word version along with the PDF.

The Spirit of Christmas:
A Ward Christmas Program
Today I wanted to share a wonderful Christmas Program that you could use for your very own Ward Christmas party this year.

Last year, around this time, I was called as the 2nd counselor in Relief Society, but I was still the 2nd counselor in Primary (waiting to be released), and then I was asked to put together the program for our Ward Christmas party. I was a little stressed. But....I saw an idea and let my mind run with it. I worked with another great sister in our Ward and we came up with a wonderful Christmas program.

The Christmas program that I came up with talks about all the symbols of Christmas. It includes speakers, musical numbers, and Mormon Messages. It is a very spiritual program that everyone is sure to enjoy.

Just a warning: When we did the program it ran a little longer than I had wanted, but I had people tell me that it was the best Christmas party that they had attended. That made me feel a little better, aren’t we always our worst critics???

Since this program is a little longer, I had to come up with something to keep the children busy. I knew the speakers would be talking about the symbols of Christmas, first being the Tree, so I decided to give each family/child their very own tree (made from cardstock) to decorate. Throughout the evening the children were able to decorate their trees as we talked about each symbol.

Symbols:
Christmas Tree
Candy Cane
Star
Bow
Red (ornament)

I found all of the symbols for each child’s tree at Michael’s craft store. I just found some small stickers for each symbol. I did end up buying ribbon and tying my own bow for the bow symbol, but I’m sure you could find bow stickers.
For the tree, I used green cardstock and cut a 3-D tree, using my Silhouette. But you could simply use a flat cardstock tree as well.

I have included the entire script for this special Christmas Program. It has all the speaking parts, titles to the songs we used, and the names of each Mormon Message we used. I even included how long each part, song, & video would be.
All you have to do is print it out and find people to help. Easy right?

This is a PDF version, but if you would like a Microsoft Word version to edit or if you have any questions, just send me an email (littleldsideas@hotmail.com) and I will send it your way.


Enjoy!
sheena
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I'm in charge of the Christmas party this year and this is great! Thank you Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thank you thank you! I'm in charge of the ward party this year! You just saved me hours and hours of time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!! I'm in charge of the Christmas party this year and this is great! Thank you Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the ward guests eat and decorate their tree while the program was taking place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie!
      We ate before the program, but decorated the trees during. I have a wonderful sister that is going to shorten the program, so once she is done I'll be sure to post it on here. :)
      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    2. A shortened version of this would be wonderful. I love this idea!

      Delete
  6. I too am in charge of our ward Christmas party. Our party this year is just for the adults, but if I could get the microsoft version or the shortened program, I think it would still work out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am in charge of our ward Christmas party. Our party this year is just for the adults, but if I could get the microsoft version or the shortened program, I think it would still work out great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am in charge of the ward Christmas party. Our party this year is just for the adults, but I think with a shortened version or the microsoft version that I could edit myself, it would still work out great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you tell me which video you used for "The Good Shepherd"? I cannot find any videos that are only 2 minutes. Not sure which one you used. Also, where did you find the music for "Room in the Inn"? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which video did you use for "The Good Shepherd"? I cannot find any that are just 2 minutes. I'm not sure which one you used. Also, where did you find the music for "Room in the Inn"? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also would love a shortened version. Thanks so much for putting this out for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for putting all of this out there for us to use. I also would love to see a shortened version! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your program. I would also love to see a shortened version. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fantastic idea! I'm definitely interested in the shortened version. How long is the original program and is the music SATB or solo's?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sheena, I was wondering when you think that shortened program will be posted? I have to have the details of the program to my Bishop very soon. I thought I'd just ask. :) It's such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I get the music to "His Endless Gift of Love" i found all the other music but can;t locate that song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! At the top of the post you will find a list of all the songs & the links where to find the music. Just click on 'His Endless Gift of Love and you should be taken to the PDF of that song. Thanks so much! Hope that helps. :)

      Delete
  17. Can you tell me how to make the 3-D cardstock tree. ??? I cant figure that part out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the ideas posted here for christmas activities are absolutely awesome, and I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have a very small congregation and would like some ideas for a Christmas program based on Scripture that would be good for such small groups. Thank you

    ReplyDelete