Google+ Little LDS Ideas: Conference Jenga

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Conference Jenga

With a 5 and 3 year old I am always trying to come up with fun ideas to use during General Conference. 
Here is an idea that I thought of a few days ago, that I'm sure will be lots of fun.


You could play this several different ways...here is the first way to play:

You will need:
-Jenga blocks or some other kind of stackable blocks (the colored blocks pictured is some kind 
 of Uno Stack game).
-Different words/subjects/names of apostles that will probably be discussed/talk during conference (i.e.- Prayer, Family, Pres. Monson, Temples, etc.)
-Your family :)

On small pieces of paper (they will need to be the same size as the Jenga block, like pictured above) type write the different key words/subjects that you have chosen. Attach the pieces of paper to several Jenga blocks.
Right before conference begins stack up your blocks with the words facing the outside of the 'tower'.
As you watch conference listen for the key words. When a key word is said someone must pull one of those blocks out of the tower and then stack it on the top. Continue playing until the tower falls over.
**You could also do this in teams. Split the family into teams and have them listen. The first person to hear the word (have them ring a bell, raise their hand, etc.) must take a block out. For every block taken out, without the tower falling over, a certain number of points will be awarded. Whichever team the tower falls on have them lose a certain number of points. Tally up the points and reward the team with a special 'Conference Treat'. Then stack them up and keep on playing.

Idea #2:
If you have different colored blocks have a keyword for each color. You could write each of the keywords on a poster with the color code beside it. That way everyone can see it during conference.
As the keyword is said during conference have a block removed from the tower.

Idea #3:
The Monday night before General Conference have a family home evening about Conference. Talk about what will happen and why it is important for us to listen.
Then tell your children that this conference you will be playing 'Conference Jenga'.
Give everyone a piece of paper with 'Conference Jenga' written at the top. Then have everyone make a list of several words (decide a certain number of words or names). You could discuss a few topics if you have younger children. After everyone has made their list collect each list.
Next explain the rules to the children: During conference we will have a 'Jenga Tower' and your list of words will be posted where everyone can see them. As we listen to conference we will be listening for your keywords. When one of your keywords is said you will have to remove a block from the 'Conference Tower' and add it back to the top. Continue playing until the tower is knocked over.
You could also split the family into teams like the idea above. Award points for each block safely removed.

I am going to try this with our family and see how it goes. I think my children will have alot of fun and maybe even listen for a little while. :)
I hope you like the idea and if you use it let me know how it goes.


I am working on some other game ideas and hopefully will post them soon.


And one more thing...We have 500 followers!!! Be on the look-out for a fun giveaway!


Thanks!
Sheena
Pin It

15 comments:

  1. I am really very glad after read here and I appreciate for the information that you presented here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a jenga. I'll do it! Tks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. would be cool to have a download for the words/ labels for us procrastinators. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THATS SO AWESOME - I WILL USE THIS GREAT IDEA FOR FHE TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea! I will have to remember this when my daughter is older! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea, but I think I might adapt it for the next Family Home Evening when it is my turn to give the lesson. I can put words from a story on it and have the kids pull them out when they hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this idea, but I think maybe I'll reverse it. when we hear the word we'll build up the tower to avoid the inevitable loud crash happening in the middle of a talk or prayer! Then at the end of conference we can play the game. also they sell small labels you could use to attach the words to the blocks. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this idea. But I think i'll reverse it. We'll build up the tower when we hear certain words, that way we can avoid the inevitable crash happening in the middle of a talk or prayer, and then we can play the game between sessions. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela. I never even thought of reversing it. I actually was worried about it crashing down during conference, but never thought to do it another way. Thanks so much for the great idea!

      Delete