Google+ Little LDS Ideas: Pimary Popsicle Helper Sticks

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pimary Popsicle Helper Sticks

A few days ago I received an email from a woman named Jane, wondering if I had any ideas for Primary Helper Sticks. I honestly hadn't even thought about it, but I am so glad she emailed me because it got me thinking and I actually came up with a few ideas.

If you've never heard of Popsicle Helper Sticks they are used in Primary to help you pick helpers during Sharing/Singing Time. As you all know every child wants to be a helper and most of the time when you say "I'm going to pick the most reverent child" they suddenly all become very reverent.
Then you have the problem of picking only 1 child. I don't know who first came up with this fabulous idea, but it works great. Just get some popsicle sticks attach a cute little picture on top with each child's name on the back and stick them into a jar or flower pot filled with beans.
When you need a helper go to your little helper 'pot' and pick a popsicle stick and read the name on the back. Pretty easy and you won't hurt anyone's feelings.
And to make sure you don't pick someone 2 weeks in a row, keep a folder or bag beside your pot and as you pick your sticks place them in the bag. Keep them in their until all the sticks have been picked, then place each of the sticks back into your pot.
So there's a little summary of the Helper Sticks, now for my ideas:
1. Helping Hands- Find a picture of a hand and write/type 'Helping Hand' on each one. Then on the back write/type each child's name. Attach to a popsicle stick and place in a jar or flower pot.
2. This isn't a popsicle stick idea, but it might be fun to throw in there every once in awhile. Under each chair place a number (the number of children that are in your Primary). Then get balls, paper, or another small object and write each number on each object and place into a bucket or cup. To choose a helper pick an object out of the cup/bucket and call out the number. Have the children look under their chairs until the number you called out is found.
I don't know if this would be too distracting, but I think it sounds like alot of fun. :)
3. R.E.D- I have been stuck on the R.E.D (Read Every Day) theme since I found out the theme for this year. So I came up with something you could use for this. Just click the link below to view it.
4. I Know the Scriptures Are True- Since the theme this year is "I Know the Scriptures Are True" I wanted to come up with something that had to go along with the theme. Just click the link below to view it.

Click Here to view my Popsicle Helper Stick Documents

Just print them out on cardstock and glue them to some popsicle sticks. If you want them to last longer I would laminate them. Once they're laminated you can place a piece of tape on the back and write each name on the piece of tape. That way is someone moves away or turns 12 and goes to YW or YM, you can just take the tape off and add a new name if needed.

Hope that this helps some of you out. Have a wonderful week!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You are a genius! Those are great! Every Sunday we have that problem...surprisingly even with the sr primary. Thanks for all your fantastic ideas!

    ReplyDelete